Subjective measures of well-being are increasingly seen by scholars and policy makers as valuable tools to assess quality of life. Hedonic accounts focus on people’s experience of life in positive ways while eudaimonic accounts are concerned with realization of personal potential. However, to what extent do an “enjoyable” and a “flourishing” life overlap? Using an innovative clustering-and-projection technique (Self-Organized Map), the joint distributional patterns of multiple hedonic and eudaimonic well-being indicators were examined in a nationally representative longitudinal study of US adults (MIDUS). Results show that the two accounts largely converged with about 70% of the sample observations registering high/low scores in both well-being dimensions. However, the remaining 30% of respondents experienced divergent well-being levels. Association between these combined profiles and a series of socio-demographic characteristics and social stratification factors were investigated. Findings showed that chances of uniformly high well-being increase with age, while higher income, educational level, marriage, and being a female are linked to lesser probabilities of experiencing joint low well-being patterns. Experiencing a combination of high hedonic/low eudaimonic well-being was more frequent for less educated individuals, and men. Finally, the persistence over time of these combined well-being profiles was more frequent in case of convergent hedonic/eudaimonic levels. For divergent patterns we revealed substantial changes over a 10-year period with respondents registering low hedonic/high eudaimonic well-being at time t having greater chances of upward movement toward improved well-being compared to individuals who experienced high hedonic/low eudaimonic levels in the first time period.

Pancheva, M., Ryff, C., Lucchini, M. (2021). An Integrated Look at Well-Being: Topological Clustering of Combinations and Correlates of Hedonia and Eudaimonia. JOURNAL OF HAPPINESS STUDIES, 22(5), 2275-2297 [10.1007/s10902-020-00325-6].

An Integrated Look at Well-Being: Topological Clustering of Combinations and Correlates of Hedonia and Eudaimonia

Lucchini, M.
2021

Abstract

Subjective measures of well-being are increasingly seen by scholars and policy makers as valuable tools to assess quality of life. Hedonic accounts focus on people’s experience of life in positive ways while eudaimonic accounts are concerned with realization of personal potential. However, to what extent do an “enjoyable” and a “flourishing” life overlap? Using an innovative clustering-and-projection technique (Self-Organized Map), the joint distributional patterns of multiple hedonic and eudaimonic well-being indicators were examined in a nationally representative longitudinal study of US adults (MIDUS). Results show that the two accounts largely converged with about 70% of the sample observations registering high/low scores in both well-being dimensions. However, the remaining 30% of respondents experienced divergent well-being levels. Association between these combined profiles and a series of socio-demographic characteristics and social stratification factors were investigated. Findings showed that chances of uniformly high well-being increase with age, while higher income, educational level, marriage, and being a female are linked to lesser probabilities of experiencing joint low well-being patterns. Experiencing a combination of high hedonic/low eudaimonic well-being was more frequent for less educated individuals, and men. Finally, the persistence over time of these combined well-being profiles was more frequent in case of convergent hedonic/eudaimonic levels. For divergent patterns we revealed substantial changes over a 10-year period with respondents registering low hedonic/high eudaimonic well-being at time t having greater chances of upward movement toward improved well-being compared to individuals who experienced high hedonic/low eudaimonic levels in the first time period.
Articolo in rivista - Articolo scientifico
Eudaimonic; Hedonic; Longitudinal; Well-being;
English
13-ott-2020
2021
22
5
2275
2297
none
Pancheva, M., Ryff, C., Lucchini, M. (2021). An Integrated Look at Well-Being: Topological Clustering of Combinations and Correlates of Hedonia and Eudaimonia. JOURNAL OF HAPPINESS STUDIES, 22(5), 2275-2297 [10.1007/s10902-020-00325-6].
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/10281/295774
Citazioni
  • Scopus 20
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 17
Social impact